The 2019 Super Bowl pitting the New England Patriots (11-5) against the Los Angeles Rams (13-3) takes place this Sunday at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia at 6:30 PM ET.
Best Super Bowl Betting Sites
This year’s edition takes on special significance because it will be the first time millions of people in multiple states will be able to legally bet on the Super Bowl outside of Nevada. After the Supreme Court issued its landmark decision striking down the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) last May, lawmakers across the country began pounding out legislation to enact their own sports betting laws.
NFL fans in Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Mississippi, Rhode Island and New Mexico will be able to bet on the Super Bowl online, in-person or both for the first time ever at sportsbooks that are licensed by the state.
If your state hasn’t yet legalized sports betting, that doesn’t mean you’ll be relegated to sitting on the sidelines this year. The fantasy arms of DraftKings and FanDuel will both be hosting some major fantasy NFL contests with a lot of money on the table.
With that in mind, today’s Super Bowl betting guide will get you started wherever you live. Here’s everything you need to know about betting on the Super Bowl. Today we’ll be discussing where you can bet online and in-person in each state, look at some of the best betting promotions and outline this week’s best daily fantasy contests for everyone else.
How to Bet on the Super Bowl Online
While numerous states have advanced legislation to authorize online NFL betting, New Jersey and West Virginia are the only two that have managed to launch active betting sites. Nevada also has mobile betting to an extent, but you must visit a local sportsbook in person to register for a mobile betting account.
Let’s start with a look at where you can bet on the Super Bowl legally in New Jersey and then look at our options in West Virginia and Nevada.
Best NJ Betting Sites
New Jersey is home to the most developed online sports betting market with numerous sites to choose from. These are our top three picks (click to read a full review of each sportsbook):
DraftKings and FanDuel have emerged as the two most popular sports betting sites in New Jersey according to revenue reports from the NJDGE. It probably helps that both entered the market with widespread name recognition and player databases owing to their existing fantasy operations. SugarHouse has also come out with a strong betting product marked by high quality software and an extensive array of betting options.
Ranking just one of these as the best is a tough prospect because all three are very solid in terms of reputation, software and promotions. To help break any ties, we’ve put together a table comparing the Super Bowl odds across all three sites.
2019 Super Bowl Betting Odds
|NE Patriots||-2.5 -115||-2.5 -115||-2 -115|
|LA Rams||+2.5 -106||+2.5 -106||+2 -105|
Super Bowl Promotions of Note in New Jersey
All three of our top-rated Super Bowl betting sites in New Jersey have come out with some generous promotions make it possible to get extra value. Some of these are geared for new customers while others are open to new and current customers alike.
SugarHouse Sportsbook: 100% up to $250 Welcome Bonus
If you don’t already haven account with SugarHouse Sportsbook, now would be a good time to get started. If you sign up for an account and use the bonus code 250MATCH, SugarHouse will match your first deposit dollar for dollar to give you up to $250 in bonus funds.
This means a $25 deposit will get you $25 in bonus money while a $200 deposit will get you $200 in bonus funds. The bigger your first deposit, the bigger your bonus (up to $250).
One thing new customers will like about this bonus is it comes with 1x rollover requirements. This means that after claiming your bonus, you’ll be asked to place an equal sum of wagers with your own money. After clearing the bonus, you can use it to bet on sports or play casino games.
DraftKings Sportsbook: Multiple Promotions
DraftKings is running multiple sports betting promotions during the run-up to this year’s Super Bowl. Here’s a brief outline of the chief promotions of note at DraftKings:
- $600 in Free Bets for the Super Bowl: DraftKings has just announced a limited-time offer just for the Super Bowl. All new customers who visit DraftKings this week and sign up for an account automatically receive $100 in free bets with a deposit of $5 or more. After that, DraftKings will match your first wager with an additional free bet worth up to $500.
- Daily Odds Boost: DraftKings will be enhancing the odds on certain wagers every day leading up to the Super Bowl starting now. For example, DraftKings boosted all coin flip wagers from -103 to +105 whether you picked heads or tails.
- Free Props Contest: Log in to the DraftKings Sportsbook app and head to the Big Game hub to enter a props betting contest absolutely free. Here, you’ll be asked a variety of question such as the result of the coin toss, who will win the game, who will be up at the halftime mark, point total, Brady passing yards and so on. The winners will get their share of a $5300 prize pool.
FanDuel Sportsbook: 53-1 On Either Team
FanDuel is running a limited-time promotion to celebrate Super Bowl LIII by offering a ridiculous 53-1 on either team to win. While you’re lucky to find anything better than +115 anywhere else, FanDuel is offering an insane 53-1 on payout whether you’ve got the Patriots or Rams.
Of course, there are some limitations to this offer. First up, it only applies to your first pre-game moneyline wager on the Super Bowl. Second, it’s only open for the first 25,000 customers who claim this offer. And third, the max bet for this particular promo is $5. Still, that’s the best value you’ll find anywhere on the Super Bowl.
Here’s how it works:
- Place your first wager at the moneyline odds shown for either team prior to the kickoff
- If your bet wins, you’ll be paid instantly at the displayed odds
- Your 53-1 payout will be paid in site credit within 72 hours
PointsBet Super Bowl Offers
PointsBet also has five very worthwhile promotions on offer ahead of Super Bowl LIII. Here’s a look at what one of New Jersey’s most unique betting sites has on offer.
- No Juice Spreadlines: Here’s an awesome promo that should appeal to bettors of all types. Starting three hours prior to kickoff, PointsBet will be offering odds of +100 on Super Bowl spreads rather than the usual -105 to -115. Get more value for your Super Bowl bets with PointsBet starting three hours before the Big Game.
- Daily Super Bowl Odds Boost: Every day between now and game day, PointsBet will be offering enhanced odds on select Super Bowl markets. Visit the Patriots vs. Rams events page at PointsBet.com to see the latest enhanced odds offers.
- Name Your Price Contest: Think of an interesting Super Bowl bet but don’t see it on offer? Tweet @PointsBetUSA and #nameabet with your idea. If PointsBet accepts your wager, they’ll price it up and give you a $1,000 bonus and Darrelle Revis swag.
- $530 PointsBetting Refund: Test your skill with your first PointsBetting wager (see how those work here) on the Super Bowl. If it loses, PointsBet will refund you with up to $530 in bonus bets.
- 1st TD Scorer Bonus Bet: Place a pre-game wager on the first touchdown scorer of the Super Bowl and PointsBet will give you an equal free wager of up to $100 to use on in-play betting.
Legal West Virginia Betting Sites
Moving over to West Virginia, we have BetLucky as the first mobile sportsbook to go live and begin accepting wagers. There are actually two editions of BetLucky in the mobile app store, one connected to Mardi Gras Casino and the other to Wheeling Island. Both are identical in nature, though, so we’ve condensed our review of both into one page here:
Super Bowl Odds at BetLucky:
|NE Patriots||-3 -110|
|LA Rams||+3 -110|
Nevada Mobile Betting Apps
Nevada has a plethora of mobile betting apps to choose from, but the one downside is you’ll have to visit a sportsbook in-person before betting online. If you’re interested in doing so, this week would be a good time to visit the sportsbook of your choice and avoid the lines on game day.
Other States Where You Can Bet on the Super Bowl Legally
Moving beyond the three states with mobile betting options, we have five other states with legal in-person sportsbooks that are now up and running. You can visit any of these sportsbooks in person to book your Super Bowl wagers all week long.
Delaware was quick to move on sports betting after the Supreme Court decision last year and accepted its first real money wager last June. Now, you can bet on the Super Bowl in-person at three locations in Delaware.
Pennsylvania legalized sports wagering in 2017 pursuant to a change in federal law. The Supreme Court delivered that change with its ruling to strike down PASPA as unconstitutional and the first sportsbooks opened in 2018. There are now six locations to bet on the NFL in Pennsylvania.
Mississippi casinos began accepting sports wagers last August and there are now nearly two dozen in-person sportsbooks open for business in Tunica and along the Gulf Coast. Mississippi law does not allow online betting, but there has been word coming out recently that lawmakers are considering changing the law.
Rhode Island legalized sports betting through a budgetary proposal last year and now has two active sportsbooks. Both Twin Rivers locations (Lincoln and Tiverton) are accepting NFL wagers right now.
New Mexico is the odd one out on this list because the state has not yet passed legislation authorizing sports betting. Even so, the state’s Pueblo of Santa Ana launched sports betting at the Santa Ana Star Casino & Hotel last year. The tribe was able to open its sportsbook due to an existing gaming compact with the state allowing the tribe to operate Class III gaming.
For Everyone Else: Super Bowl LIII Fantasy Sports Contests
For those of you who don’t have convenient access to a legal sportsbook or betting site, fear not. DraftKings and FanDuel have you covered. Both will be hosting large fantasy NFL contests and interesting new promotions for the 2019 Super Bowl and fans in most states are invited.
DraftKings: Big Game Squares
Last week, DraftKings Fantasy announced the launch of its own take on Super Bowl squares with a $53,000 contest that’s absolutely free for everyone to enter. DraftKings will also be boosting the prize pool for each additional 100K entries between now and game day.
Because this contest is free, it is not limited to sportsbook customers. If you have a DraftKings account, all you need to do is log in and take a shot.
Here’s how to play:
- Follow this link to visit the Big Game Squares contest directly and then hit the “play now” button to get started.
- Next, you’ll be presented with a 10×10 grid and instructed to pick any square. This will be your square for the duration of the game, but there’s no need to overthink it at this point because numbers ranging from 0-9 will be randomly assigned to the columns and rows after kickoff.
- After the game starts, the numbers assigned to each row and column will be revealed. Your square will correlate to two of those numbers.
- If the last digit of the score at the end of each quarter matches with the numbers assigned to your box, you win an instant cash prize.
- For example, if your numbers are 0-7, you’d win a cash prize if the score after one quarter is 0-7. If the score is 10-17 after the end of the second quarter, you would win another cash prize because the final digit of each score aligns again with your numbers.
- This game is free to enter and is available to all DraftKings customers. All you need to do is log in and pick a square.
DraftKings: NFL Championship Millionaire
DraftKings will be hosting hundreds of fantasy contests this week revolving around the Super Bowl, but the biggest of all will be the NFL Championship Millionaire. This one will cost you just $10 enter and it comes with a guaranteed prize pool of $3,000,000, so obviously we think this is one every fantasy player should consider.
Take the top spot in this one and you’ll be DraftKings’ newest millionaire with a first-place payout guaranteeing $1,000,000 to the winner. Other finalists will be looking at prizes of $100,000, $50,000, $25,000 and so on down the line.
Note that this contest is run as an NFL Showdown Captain Mode contest. That means your lineup will consist of six players in total from any and all positions. The only rule is that you need to pick at least one player from each team. One of your picks will serve as the team captain and will earn points at 1.5x the usual rate.
FanDuel: NFL Big Game Bowl
FanDuel’s answer to the biggest contest at DraftKings is the 2019 NFL Big Game Bowl. This one checks in with a smaller prize pool at $2.53 million guaranteed, but also guarantees $1 million to the first place finisher along with a whole bevvy of cash prizes for the top 64,753 contestants out of the 300K entries that are expected.
You can take a crack at the Big Game Bowl for $9.99. Once you’re in, you’ll be tasked with drafting at 5-man team consisting entirely of flex players (pick anyone you want) and a team MVP player who earns 1.5x points.
This contest is open to all FanDuel Fantasy members. If you don’t already have an account, follow the link below to get started today.
You can take a shot at becoming a FanDuel millionaire at: www.fanduel.com