Online betting bonuses are a marketing tactic designed to encourage bettors to take signup and make a deposit. US betting sites want your action and they’re willing to offer valuable signup bonuses and promotional offers to gain your business.
Most sports betting deposit bonuses are a great deal for new bettors, but there is a lot to know about the various types of betting bonus offers for each type of gambling market and the terms and conditions associated with each promotion.
Best Betting Bonuses and Promotions
The thing I love most about betting bonuses is that they reward you for something you were planning on doing anyway. Sportsbooks offer bonuses because it’s what their competitors do.
Look around a bit and you’ll find thousands of dollars’ worth of bonuses in the regulated US market. Between the many mobile sportsbooks, fantasy sites, horse racing websites, online casinos, and poker sites, there is a lot of incentives being offered to new depositing customers.
Of course, there are always going to be certain terms and conditions attached to betting promotional offers.
Generally, the terms and conditions place limits on how much money you can get, what you need to do to “clear” the bonus and whether or not you can withdraw the bonus cash.
Sports Betting Bonuses
DraftKings offers up to $1,000 in bonus funds to all new customers spread across a first deposit bonus and a first bet match offer.
- Deposit Bonus: New customers get an extra 20% on their first deposit for up to $500 in bonus funds
- First Bet Match: Place your first bet and DraftKings will match it 100% for up to $500 in free bets
BetMGM runs several longstanding promos, including a $500 risk-free bet offer for new customers. Other promotions vary based on the season and ahead of major sports events.
- $500 Risk Free Bet: New customers can place their first bet almost risk free – if it loses, BetMGM will refund it with up to $500 in free bets
- Multi-Sport Parlay Boost: BetMGM offers up to 40% payout boosts on parlays that consist of 4-7 legs on any combination of sports
- Money Monday Club: Opt in and get a $10 free bet every Monday whenever you place $50+ worth of wagers the previous week
BetRivers is not a particularly promotion-heavy sportsbook, but an easy to clear welcome bonus for new customers is attractive.
- $250 Deposit Bonus: BetRivers offers a 100% deposit bonus for all new customers worth up to $250 with a 1x rollover that makes it easy to clear
Unibet has an attractive pair of new customers offers along with regular odds boosts, profit boosts, parlays specials and other promotions catered to the season.
- $20 No-Deposit Bonus: Sign up for an account to receive two free $10 bets with no deposit necessary
- $250 Risk Free Bet: Place your first wager using your own money and if it loses, Unibet will refund it with up to $250 within 72 hours
FanDuel Sportsbook offers a risk-free bet for new customers and year-round parlay insurance along with a regular lineup of short-term promotions geared toward special events and the big in-season sports.
- $500 Risk Free Bet: Sign up for an account, place your first wager and if it loses, FanDuel will refund it with up to $500 in site credit
- Parlay Insurance: Place a parlay wager including 5+ legs in any sport and lose by just a single leg, FanDuel will refund it with up to $25 back
BetAmerica Sportsbook is quite active on the promotional front with a variety of bonuses and other offers for new and existing customers.
- $1,000 First Bet Refund: Opt in and place a wager within seven days of signing up to get up to $1,000 in bonus funds as a refund if your first wager loses
- $20 Live Betting Bonus: Place your first in-play wager of $20 or more to receive $20 in bonus funds
- Parlay Insurance: BetAmerica will refund your 5+ leg parlay with up to $25 in bonus funds if it loses by just one leg
- Bet $5, Get $20: Opt in, place a bet of $5 or more on any sport to get $20 in bonus funds
Horse Racing Betting Bonuses
Bonuses offered at horse racing betting sites and ADW’s work in a similar fashion as those offered at sportsbooks. After you sign up and deposit, you’ll be given “pending” bonus cash. Just place wagers like you normally would and the bonus money will be released to your account.
Horse racing bonuses are nice and all, but don’t let them distract you from your ultimate goal: making money with your bets. Your handicapping skills will have the greatest impact on your return over the long run. Let the bonus money come naturally, choose your wagers carefully and don’t place bets you’re not in love with just for the sake of clearing some bonus.
AmWager offers a large welcome bonus to new customers alongside ongoing cash back rewards that put money back into the accounts of existing players.
- $500 Welcome Bonus: Earn 10% back on all win and exotic wagers made during your first 30 days for up to $500 back
- Cash Back Rewards: Customers who stick around are rewarded with 2% to 5% cashback every day on all betting volume, win or lose
Daily Fantasy Sports Bonuses
Daily fantasy sports serves as an alternative to sports betting in states yet to legalize sportsbooks and is the most competitive online wagering niche in the United States right now thanks to its widespread legality.
Most daily fantasy sports sites offer their services in at least 43 states. Combine that with fairly low startup costs and you have all the ingredients you need for a healthy, thriving and competitive industry.
Signup bonuses at fantasy sites can consist of deposit match bonuses and/or free entries to paid contests. The two largest fantasy sports sites, DraftKings and FanDuel, offer free tournament entries that allow you to compete for a real money prize without risking your own cash.
How Betting Bonuses Work
The vast majority of welcome offers come in three flavors: match rate, no-deposit and first wager refund.
Signup bonuses at legal US betting sites almost always come with terms and conditions attached, and wagering requirements should be clearly displayed and easy to understand.
State Specific Betting Offers
Bettors in each state have a unique lineup of sports betting bonuses to choose from. Local laws, tax rates and which operators are active all vary by state and therefore impact which bonuses are available.
Readers can follow the links below to view a complete listing of the best betting bonuses in each state.
Betting Bonus Codes
Many sports betting sites ask new customers to input a bonus code or promo code in order to claim a deposit bonus. This field usually appears somewhere on the new customer registration form or when making a deposit.
In most cases, betting promo codes are completely optional and do not offer any extra value – they are simply a tracking mechanism for betting operators.
In other cases, sportsbook promo codes allow players to claim exclusive bonuses that aren’t publicly advertised.
Most new customer bonuses are automatically applied whether or not a code is entered at all.
BettingUSA does occasionally receive exclusive bonus codes that we pass on to visitors. If you see a bonus code listed here at BettingUSA, make note of it and use it when you sign up for an account to claim a bonus that is likely bigger and better than offers advertised elsewhere.
For operators, bonus codes assist in tracking marketing efforts. If a customer enters a bonus code seen on a TV ad, for example, the operator knows the customer was inspired by that particular ad to sign up for an account.
Bonus codes also provide a sense of exclusivity, which is known to be an effective marketing tactic in its own right.