Barstool Sports has officially entered the sports betting business.
Pennsylvania bettors got their first taste of Barstool Sportsbook with the launch of mobile betting in September 2020 for customers 21 and older. Shortly after the launch of Barstool Sportsbook PA, founder Dave Portnoy told followers the company plans to “quickly launch in every state where sports gambling is legal.”
Readers who live in states with legal sports betting will likely be seeing much more from Portnoy and the rest of the Barstool Sports team in the near future. Read on for a full Barstool Sportsbook review for a preview of what to expect as the company expands across the US.
Barstool Sports is partnered with Penn National Gaming to offer mobile sports betting and operate retail sportsbooks across the country under the Barstool Sportsbook banner. The new Barstool Sportsbook combines its characteristic flair for entertainment and comedy with sports betting to provide an experience like no other.
- Operated by the one and only Barstool Sports
- Bet and watch alongside Barstool Sports personalities
- Provides a healthy lineup of unique promotions
- Could use more in-play betting data
- About Barstool Sportsbook
- Barstool Sportsbook Bonus and Other Promotions
- Barstool Sports Betting Markets
- Barstool Sportsbook Mobile App Review
- In-Play Betting at Barstool Sportsbook
- Barstool Sportsbook Deposit Methods
- States Where Barstool Sportsbook is Available
- About the Barstool Sports and Penn National Deal
About Barstool Sportsbook
The news that Barstool Sports would be launching retail sportsbooks and mobile betting was delivered in classic Barstool fashion in January 2020. Dave Portnoy broke the news with an “emergency press conference” to announce an agreement with Penn National Gaming to offer sports betting across the country where permitted by law.
Together, Penn National Gaming and Barstool Sports will continue to pursue sports betting and online gambling opportunities under the Barstool Sportsbook brand.
Penn National brings market access and betting experience to the table as the parent company of brick-and-mortar casinos across 19 states. Market access is the key point there because most states that have legalized sports betting to date require online operators to partner with a local land-based casino.
In return, Barstool Sports brings with it a massive database of loyal followers and a marketing machine unlike any other.
Barstool Sportsbook Bonus and Other Promotions
Barstool Sportsbook launched with a two-part welcome bonus consisting of a $10 registration bonus and a 100% risk free bet worth up to $500. Additionally, Barstool Sportsbook maintains a constant lineup of ongoing promos that change regularly.
Barstool Sports Betting Markets
The types of sports covered and betting markets offered tend to be similar across most betting sites, but Barstool Sportsbook debuted with all the usual offerings plus unique options such as “The Hanson” that allows customers to bet on the total number of points to be scored in all Sunday NFL games.
Barstool Exclusives: Users can visit the “Barstool Exclusives” tab anytime for odds-boosted selections and options to bet with or against BSS personalities who name their own wagers each week.
Quick Pick 6: Fans who just want action can visit the Quick 6 Pick parlay builder and select one or more sports to generate a random, six-leg parlay from those sports. From there, users can add or remove legs, view the payout odds and amount to win as selections are added or removed and place the wager with one tap.
Other standard types of wagers on offer include the normal point spreads, moneylines, totals plus many alternative lines, half-time results, player totals, in-play betting and many props. The list of sports covered runs the full gamut of college and pro sports:
|Golf||Handball||Ice Hockey||Motor Sports|
Barstool Sportsbook Mobile App Review
The Barstool Sportsbook app is powered by software from Kambi, the former supplier to DraftKings and a reputable provider in its own right.
Additionally, Barstool Sports brings a wealth of its own experience to the table in the form of Barstool Bets, Barstool Sports and other apps that already integrate betting-related content, video, podcasts and more.
Penn National Gaming noted in a presentation prior to the launch of Barstool Sportsbook that BSS would be retaining an in-house team to continue development on the betting app. As a result, Barstool Sportsbook brings its unique flavor to online betting despite being powered by one of the country’s major software suppliers.
A standard layout and quick signup process make it easy to register and get started. Users can use two menus to navigate through the app to view promos, manage account settings, view open bets, set spending limits, get help and to visit specific sports.
Customers can download the Barstool mobile app for iOS and Android devices.
Mobile Betting Screenshots
In-Play Betting at Barstool Sportsbook
Barstool Sportsbook offers in-game betting on mainstream and niche sports alike from around the world. Each in-play event is covered in detail, providing dozens of opportunities to bet on in-game happenings from start to finish. This includes short-term in-game events such as the outcome of every pitch in an MLB game.
The in-play betting interface currently lacks much in terms of live stats and streams, but those features and others are reportedly in progress.
Barstool Sportsbook is comparable to other major sportsbooks in terms of sports covered and types of markets offered during games but stands out for the unique content it can put out alongside in-play betting events.
While other sportsbooks may offer standard pregame shows, only Barstool Sportsbook can provide its own unique and irreverent take on sports commentary with the likes of the Barstool Sports Advisors show. If and when Barstool Sportsbook gets detailed live stats in place, it will give even the most established sportsbooks a run for their money when it comes to in-play betting.
In-Play Betting Screenshots
Barstool Sportsbook Deposit Methods
Barstool Sportsbooks accepts a standard assortment of deposit methods:
- Credit or Debit Card: Customers may deposit with Visa, Mastercard or Discover
- Play+ Card: A Play+ account provides instant online deposits via credit card, debit card, bank transfer and PayPal. Additionally, customers receive a physical card by mail that is linked to their Play+ accounts that can be used to make purchases or withdraw cash at ATMs.
- PayNearMe: Make a cash deposit in-person at a nearby gas station or pharmacy; player accounts are credited within minutes
- Wire Transfer: Barstool Sportsbook accepts bank wires but only processes deposits during regular business hours – best reserved for large deposits
- PayPal: Use an existing PayPal account to bet online with Barstool Sportsbook
- Online Banking: Works with most national banks; allows customers to initiate an online deposit and sign in to their online banking account to authorize the transaction for an instant deposit
- ACH / e-Check: Easy and safe way to transfer funds from a personal bank account straight to Barstool Sportsbook
States Where Barstool Sportsbook is Available
Barstool Sportsbook has made it clear the company plans to expand into every state where possible.
To that end, Barstool Sportsbook has a multi-year agreement in place with Penn National Gaming for market access in states where PNG operates land-based casinos. The agreement makes Penn National the exclusive sports betting and online gambling partner of Barstool Sports for up to 40 years and instantly opens the door to expansion in numerous states.
About the Barstool Sports and Penn National Deal
The deal between Barstool Sports and Penn National Gaming makes sense from every angle. Barstool Sports is home to a massive, loyal following that collectively account for some 66 million monthly visits. Just as importantly, the audience skews younger and is heavily invested in sports. This is an excellent target market for a sports betting operation.
As BettingUSA noted in a post detailing the January 2020 announcement, Penn National Gaming research has found that Barstool Sports followers are very much into sports betting:
- 62% bet on sports
- 44% bet on sports at least once a week
- 41% say their average bet exceeds $51
Penn National Gaming explained the financial side of the deal in a presentation detailing its agreement with Barstool Sports:
- Penn to invest roughly $163 million in Barstool Sports, Inc for a 36% equity position
- Barstool Sports to exclusively promote Penn National’s online and land-based casinos for up to 40 years with no additional consideration
- Penn National secures the exclusive right to use the Barstool Sports brand for its retail sportsbook, online sports betting and online casino products
- Penn National also secures the exclusive right to use the Barstool Sports brand for sports bars and restaurants
- Penn National to increase its ownership up to 50% after three years
- Penn National secures a pathway to increase its ownership stake to 100% after three years